On Monday, the San Francisco 49ers released 29-year-old tight end Bruce Miller after he was arrested earlier in the day for allegedly attacking a 29-year-old man and his 70-year-old father.
On Sunday afternoon, Miller posted a photograph to his Instagram account showing him and two others sitting at the bar at The Palm House restaurant in San Francisco. It included the caption “Sunday’s are for the boys,” and it was directed to the official account for Nike and an account with the handle “kanye,” which included no posts.
An unidentified employee of the restaurant told KTVU that Miller visited the bar three different times that night and that he “was hammered.”
According to police, hours later —at some time past 2:40 a.m. Monday morning — an extremely intoxicated Miller attempted to rent a room at the Marriott Fisherman’s Wharf hotel in San Francisco, only to discover it was fully booked.
He then proceeded to head upstairs anyway, where he attempted to enter the room of an elderly couple staying there. The unnamed couple’s 29-year-old son was staying in the next room over.
After hearing the commotion, the son approached Miller and told him he had the wrong room.
In response, the 248-pound, 6-foot-2 Miller allegedly attacked him.
The man’s 70-year-old father tried to help break up the fight, but Miller allegedly punched him, breaking bones in his face and knocking him unconscious, KTVU reported.
Both father and son were brought to the hospital. Their condition is unknown.
At that point, Miller fled to a Travelodge next door.
Dinesh Shresdha, the front desk manager at Travelodge, told NBC Bay Area that Miller was sitting on a flight of stairs in the hotel, vomiting intermittently and bleeding from a wound on his forehead.
Shresdha called 911.
Miller was arrested four felony counts — two of criminal threats, one of assault with a deadly weapon (not a firearm), and one of elder abuse — and a misdemeanor battery charge. He was booked into the San Francisco County Jail, where his bail was set at $178,000 bail, ESPN reported.
Miller left the jail around 2 p.m. on Monday through a back exit, NBC reported.
Early Monday morning, the 49ers addressed the incident in a statement obtained by ESPN.
“The San Francisco 49ers organization is aware of the media report regarding Bruce Miller,” it read. “We are gathering the relevant facts of this matter and will continue to monitor the situation.”
A few hours later, the organization used its official Twitter account to announce that Miller had been released from the team.
The 49ers have released Bruce Miller.
— San Francisco 49ers (@49ers) September 5, 2016
This isn’t Miller’s first run-in with the law since being drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL draft.
In March 2015, he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of disturbing the peace after being accused of shoving his ex-fiancee and smashing her cellphone during an argument in Santa Clara, the Associated Press reported.
As part of his sentence, Miller was required to attend an anti-domestic violence class for 16 weeks.
On Monday, Miller’s agent and lawyer Jack Reale told the Associated Press that he was still gathering information. Miller himself did not respond to the AP’s request for comment. It is unclear if he has entered a plea.
As of early Tuesday morning, the last post on Miller’s Twitter feed was a link to the aforementioned Instagram post with an emoji depicting a hand curled into the “rock ‘n’ roll” gesture.
Sunday’s are for the boys ???????? https://t.co/7UhtPfFmgB
— Bruce Miller (@BruceMill49er) September 4, 2016
Many fans took to Twitter, expressing support the decision to cut Miller.
— Sara castillo (@Kapow2TheMoon) September 6, 2016